It's the human and fun side of our sports heroes

Bo Perasol recalls tough moments in UP vs Adamson game


After 32 years, UP is now back in the Finals.

Back then, Joe Lipa used to call the shots for the Fighting Maroons which eventually resulted to the team’s first-ever championship.

Today, current head coach Bo Perasol now has the chance to make this possible again after beating the twice-to-beat Adamson Soaring Falcons, 89-87, on Wednesday.

“I made a promise to the Lord that we were going to the Finals, the glory will go to him,” said Perasol during post-game interview.

“We made it, but it wasn’t without hard work, tears, and challenges. But this team is going to fight no matter what,” he added.

Indeed, Coach Bo’s squad really suffered physically and mentally against the Soaring Falcons in order to emerge as victorious in overtime

Apart from being down by six points in the extra period, UP also experienced different kinds of dilemma — Bright Akhuetie was catching for his breathe, Juan Gomez De Liaño’s being entangled with foul trouble, and their failure to stop Jerom Lastimosa’s surge.

However, UP were able to adjust their perimeter defense and Paul Desiderio rose to the occasion once again with his clutch performance.

“I had to call the early timeout during overtime because I had to remind them that it was not over,” Perasol shared.

“We were all tired. We had a very good chance in the end when Paul made that shot and everybody contributed on defense.”

Perasol also had to endure the hardships that his boys were experiencing, but it was him who gave them enough motivation to win it all.

He stated, “There were a lot of times that I already gave up in this game, but I told myself that if I cannot stand for my team, who else will believe?”

Indeed, their hard work and patience paid off in the end.

“I just kept encouraging them and that is what happened,” Perasol quipped.

See related stories:

Pinoy fans take notice of Paul Desiderio’s late-game heroics

Desiderio breaks Adamson’s heart in OT as UP Maroons enter Finals after 32 years